Tuesday, February 15, 2011

there is a time to be alone

Even the little accomplishments are something to be celebrated. That is what I have learned my second day in Buenos Aires.
My flight from Santiago was delayed and while waiting for these mysterious doors to open I offered this young man a piece of gum. Maybe I did it just to be nice or maybe because I didn’t want to feel alone. That piece of gum opened the door for conversation, we got around to talking about where ii was staying and how I was traveling alone and he offered to help. We took a taxi to his place to drop off his stuff, I denied the offer to stay at his place because I knew that crossed the line of too trusting. At one in the morning we found ourselves waiting for the bus. During the bus ride I realized that his friendly gaze turned into a look that said- I can’t believe I’m here with this incredible girl and damn she looks good, and she knows the words to this song, and- this is when I knew we needed to get to the hostel. Finally around two we arrived and found out my reservation didn’t go through. Luckily Miguel( my helper) went to the bathroom before I found out so he didn’t have the opportunity to offer me his place once again.
I got set up at another hostel and had to say goodbye to my friend. I was a little disappointed he went in for a kiss knowing I had a boyfriend. I didn’t feel like I owed him anything and with a stern no I sent him on his way. And off to bed I went.

I believe things happen for a reason. I believe that Bruno didn’t come because I needed to be alone. I am here alone to re-enforce my new found confidence and to reflect on this last semester. I went out ALONE and explored BA, I got lost, never freaked out, found money, ate and in the end found my way back to the hostel. Every little thing felt like a huge step forward. I already found my favorite street-de mayo- I sat on a bench there today just observing and thinking. The street is lined with beautiful green trees against the backdrop of cream buildings with ornate decorations, French doors and rod iron balconies. People were rushing around, horns honking, cars speeding and me sitting. Alone and at peace. It is an amazing feeling.

Sometimes I feel like Argentineans have nothing better to do then demonstrate. Today I saw three different demonstrations within two hours. There are tons of people, yelling, music, burning of tires leaving an awful smelling black cloud, explosives, and police trying to keep it all contained. Argentineans just keep walking, they don’t even jump with the sound of the explosions- life goes on.

No comments: