Saturday, August 28, 2010

transportation

Transportation. I’ve had the opportunity to take almost every form of transportation in Quito. I walk to school every day which is an experience in itself. As a safety measure I have made friends with our community’s security guard. He now watches out for me when I leave and when he sees me coming home. From Argentina I learned to politely ignore the guys whistling, yelling and using their words to get to me but in Ecuador I have the pleasure of walking by a construction site every day. These men not only use their words to get close but physically move closer as well. Luckily I can handle my Spanish well enough that they get the point that I don’t mess around. But after eight I’m told they are not so easily convinced. (I need to find me a gentleman who will accompany me to and from school I think). That is why I take cabs if I go anywhere at night. Here it is very important to make sure the cab is legit. Meaning yellow taxi, orange plate, license sticker, and one person in car……..They also have a service where you can call a cab but they will send a normal car. Over the phone they will tell you the car model, brand and color. When the car shows up the driver must be able to call you by name. This seems to be the safest way to go although I’ve never felt threatened in a cab. Most families also have a cab driver they trust and who they can call his cell phone to be picked up. Anywhere in cumbaya a taxi doesn’t cost more than two bucks unless you scream GRINGO then the price usually goes up. I’ve also taken a bus to Quito. I went with a group of Americans b/c it isn’t recommended to go alone. We even had the pleasure of making a transfer. And everything went pretty well. Thankfully we had an Ecuadorian with us so we didn’t get lost ha-ha. They love to pack as many people in as possible though. You can’t be afraid to get cozy  the bus from cumbaya to Quito is twenty five cents and the bus anywhere in Quito is also twenty five cents. It is a bargain but sometimes not worth the hassle.
The road systems are crazy here but I’m starting to think that is just a Latin American thing. There are no rules. People pas in stupid situations (I close my eyes and pray to god)(no mames no mames no mames haha) the person with the most guts has the right of way. They use their horn twenty four seven! It’s like a form or communication. There is no way I would attempt to drive here. Ever. Oh and if you ever come to visit….people do NOT have the right of way. They are not going to slow down for you so you’d be smart to hustle across the street or to wait till it’s clear.

No comments: