Saturday, August 28, 2010

field journal

As our tour bus inched its way up the winding dirt roads of the Paramos I couldn’t help but feel back at home among the tall mountain peaks of Alaska. Many mountains I have climbed over the years but this experience was a bit different. Exiting the bus at 4200m I was immediately greeted by the familiar chill of the rushing wind. Being from Alaska I feel like my survival mode button is always on. This day in the Paramos of Ecuador was no different when the wind wrapped me in its cold blanket I began thinking of how to stay warm, or how to survive.
As I looked around at the biodiversity it was clear I was not the only thing on the defense. The lack of biodiversity at this altitude did not surprise me for life forms would have to be able to withstand very harsh conditions. What did fascinate me was how the life forms adapted to the temperature and harsh conditions.
Most all plants at this altitude grew very close to the ground as a way to escape the wind. The cushion plants had developed several survival techniques to survive the cold. Just like me and my friends do when we get cold in Alaska, the organisms of the cushion plant get very close to each other. The closer together they grow the less space there is for the cold to get in. Another defense mechanism, not only the cushion plant but, many plants in the Paramos have developed to avoid the cold is to grow on top of dead biomass. The decomposition of the dead biomass results in a release of heat in turn keeping the plants warmer.
At this point in the trip all I could think about was getting on the other side of the mountain so it could protect me from the harsh winds. When we finally made it around the ridge and were sheltered from the wind it was obvious I was not the only thing aware of this shelter. Biodiversity increased immensely.
The plants ranged more in shape and size mainly because conditions were not so unsympathetic.
It became very clear as we made our way down the mountain that we were not in Alaska anymore but that we were stationed between the two Hadley cells which bring diurnal rains across the equator. Never had I seen so much mud on one mountain and I have seen my fair share of mud. As the tropic’s rain made its presence apparent I began to notice a change in the foliage. Many more plants with waxy leaves could be found and the plants started getting taller. The flowers also began to spread out because they did not need to be so tightly closed off from the cold.
It never ceases to amaze me how ingenious plants are. We encountered several plants with unique adaptations. One adaptation is the rosette. I saw two different plants with rosettes. One had it at the top and the other at the bottom. In both cases the purpose was the same. The Rosette was made up of dead plant. This outer accumulation of dead biomass allows the plant to grow on the inside where it is warmer thanks to the insulation of the rosette. Another adaptation I found incredible was the mucous protective layer. One plant secretes a mucous layer that protects its leaves from freezing. Native also use this mucous as a source of hydration. Other plants develope a sort of fur, adding extra protection from the cold. I couldnt help but feel a sort of sisterhood with the plants of the Paramos. As many alaskans, one main goal of the biodiversity of Los Paramos is to increase their cold resistance. Wether they do it by adding more layers, by joining forces, or by limiting exposure it is a must for survival. Los Paramos are not only important for their biodiversity but also for the role they play in the lives of Ecuadorians.
In the classroom I had been told that all the water used in Quito came from Los Paramos but until hiking them I found it very hard to believe. How could the water supply for over two million people come from these mountains? From trudging through the mud and grassy lands I experienced firsthand how Los Paramos act like a giant sponge. I saw that it wasn’t just the earth that held the water so well but mainly the plants. As my professors pointed out more and more Ecuadorians are turning to these mountains for agriculture and farming. Both of which destroy the biodiversity. If there are no plants to hold the water this could be extremely detrimental to the two million plus people who rely upon it. And where can they turn for water?

1 comment:

Amber said...

Kneen, I enjoyed catching up on your blog tonight...thanks for posting! I'll have to pay better attention from now on! Hope you are having the time of your life!