Saturday, August 28, 2010

hermanos

My brothers, Juan Pablo (5) and Nicolas (7), are quite entertaining. They have made my transition a bit easier. It is easier for me to relate to kids than it is to adults so it was nice having them in the house. My first morning in cumbaya I went downstairs to find my parents asleep and my two host brothers playing a game similar to Pokémon. Right away they asked if I wanted to be friends, of course I jumped at the offer and they shook my hand finalizing the deal. I usually eat dinner with my brothers and during this event the tv is always on. This is something I’ve grown to dislike. But I was not a huge fan of tv to begin with. Tv has given me some good laughs since I’ve been here though. Whenever Barbie commercials come on my brothers plug their ears and hide under the table. Well….because barbies are for girls. And every time shakira comes on tv singing juanpa gets up and starts dancing. He knows all her dances and isn’t afraid to show you. Nicolas is fascinated by my study skills and doesn’t understand why I circle some words and underline others. But he wants to know everything I am learning. Being here I’ve noticed how simple bonding moments mean so much more to me. From having Nicolas offer to share his cookie to me helping him pick the olives out of the salad when mom isn’t looking. One night juanpa was making faces at me while we were eating so I started making faces back. It turned into this huge game and ended with us both cracking up because nobody could catch us doing it.
Sometimes I notice things which they are leagues ahead of American children of the same age and then other times I’m taken back by some of the things they don’t know how to do or just don’t do. One example; the maid feeds them, like bite for bite. I’m sure it is not because they are incapable of feeding themselves but it is normal for me to see the maid put a spoonful of food in ones mouth walk around the table and put a bite in the others. Round and round she’ll go until everything is eaten.
Side note: This is not the first maid I’ve experienced in my life but I am still not used to the idea. The thing that bugs me the most is the lack of respect usually shown to the maid. I’m sure it’s part of the culture but it still bugs me and I think it always will. I appreciate that she cooks, cleans and does my laundry but I can’t help but feel bad for her sometimes.

No comments: