Sunday, November 14, 2010

the sound of music

Lately I have found myself listening to one song on repeat all day. Sometimes for more than one day and they are not normal super catchy songs. I catch myself not realizing what mood I am in until I stop and take notice of what I am listening to. Today I discovered the power of music. Its ability to embrace me, my mood and its ability to comfort me in different ways.
Choir music- I first realized the choir music’s impeccable way of embracing me in its arms my senior year of high school. It doesn’t attempt to cover up my fears but rather it helps me face them. Shows me that my fears and I can coexist. It lets me cry. Lets me get lost in long held notes, but lifts me up. Senior year after the car accident choir was my only place of escape. The whole school ached to be of help but there was not much we could do. But we could sing every song like a simple prayer. Ave Mara and Omnia Sol held our hands and helped us overcome this helplessness. Forty people sitting in a circle, all bodies in contact. Singing from the soul. Tears running down sweet cheeks. We all inhale together stabilizing each other from the inside out. Our sound swirls around us and its echo lifts us up to the skies. So why am I listening to it now? Here in this place of paradise? During this experience of a life time?
Two reasons- 1. I miss people 2. I know pain is coming soon.
I put this music on and close my eyes. I can feel the sounds caress. Inhale with forty people and am lifted to the sky.
Salsa music- It has a way of reaching parts of myself I do not reveal to many. The canción puede ser feliz o una triste, no importa, siempre llegara a mi alma. El otro día un amigo me dijo ‘para bailar salsa con una persona que sabe bailar y también entiende las palabras es algo mágico. Ya sentí esa mágico unos veces pero nunca sabía exactamente que fue. Lo pude sentir la diferencia, no sentí el mágico cada vez que baile con una persona aquí. Ahora mismo puedo pensar en unos pares de chicos con quien sentí el mágico. Es algo bien distinto. No estás bailando sino estas sintiendo la persona. Dos cuerpos moviendo juntos. Cuando el otro siente dolor tú también lo sientes. Tienes que leer los sígnales del cuerpo (un mano que sube suavemente, una cara que toca la tuya, un abrazo que se pone más fuerte) entender los palabras que no están dichos y los que están. Responder a los sígnales, los palabras y la música con tu cuerpo y con todo tu alma. Juntos pueden perderles en salsa. Estar perdido con una persona por tres minutes si es algo lindo. Algo mágico
A song can be happy or sad, it doesnt matter, it always finds its way to my soul. The other day a friend told me ‘to dance salsa with someone who knows how to dance but also understands the words s magical’ I have already felt this magic several times but never knew exactly what t was. I could feel the difference, I didnt feel the magic everytime I danced with somone here. Right now i can think of a few guys with who i felt this ‘magic’ Its a distinct feeling. You are not dancing but rather you are feeling the person. Everyone can relate to the lyrics of salsa but we all relate in dfferent ways and discovering that is somthing special.
Two bodies moving together. When one feels pain you too feel it. You have to read the body signals (a hand that slowly moves up, a face that touches yours, a hug that tightens its grip) understand the words which are not said and the ones that are, respond to the signals, the words and the music with your body and your soul. Together you can get lost in salsa. To be lost with a person for three minutes is something beautiful. Something magical.
All music has its own power, most of the time we just don’t take the time to stop and think about it.

No comments: