Friday, October 8, 2010

Nothing suprises me anymore

So many things here are just different that a lot of times I cant help but laugh at what i stumble upon.

1. I have four walls and a roof to my bedroom but I seem to share it with nature.
roommates 2010= one friendly lizard, 10+ anti-social spiders, multiple flighty warblers and finches, one soon to be dead cockroach, several hardworking ants, MANY selfish mosquitos and a very confused fly. I also get the occasional visits from stray dogs, and kittens.
the lizard seems to perfer the bathroom which doesnt bother me except when he suprises me in the shower. It is already so small and when my friend scares me by scampering up the shower wall there really is no place to escape to.
I was thinking the other day that if I was anywhere but ecuador I would not let all these lovely roommates be around. Spiders would be on the blacklist and a bird in my room would just not happen. But here aslong as they respect my personal space I let them hang around.

2. I walk to school somedays around 9 in the morning and have to pass by the pier which is along the main street. On any given day I can count atleast 40 men over the age of 35. Of course they all give me THAT look. The look I cant decide wether it gives me a confidence boost or creeps me out. The occasional man will say hello or try to start a conversation.....and sometimes I really want to talk back just because I want to meet more people but I remind myself that I need to go to school. But the thing that most interests me about these men is the fact that they are not working......nine am is a pretty prime time to be at work. Are these all unemployed men or what the heck are they doing sitting on the pier shooting the bull?

3. On my way to school this morning i was crossing the street and it was near a man sitting on his motorcycle parked on the side of the road. As I pass he begins to pick his nose and then continues ask me if I want to go out with him.....where I am from.....how beautiful I am....all the sweet talking. I tried to hold it together as long as possible but I couldnt help but let out a little giggle.

4. I am volunteering at an english school from 4-7 everyday and work with kids ages 7-14. Each group has the two or three kids who insist on flirting with me. One little boy even hit me but used it as an excuse to hold my hand to apologize but didnt let go. But this is not what suprised me. What suprised me was that when we were talking about music I would say 90% of the boys said their favorite type of music was romantic. In the US I dont think we even know this genere. And I am positve that even grown men would not admit to it being their favorite.

5. As most people know I am always in the mood for ice cream.....I never get sick of it. Well there is a place here that serves two flavors of soft serve everyday. It cost one dollar for a cone and I visit this place often. My friend Jairo also visits equally as often but he is a local and knows the people who work there. He has introduced me to the older man that owns the place and the younger girl who just helps out. I have made friends with the girl and we both share the quiet friendly smile when we see eachother in town. But this old man.......this old man is always grumpy! I dont understand how someone selling ice cream can always be in such a bad mood. we have 28 gringos who go for ice cream atleast twice a week and he not once cracks a smile. So i have made it my personal goal to get the man to talk....and hopefully maybe smile and if I'm lucky Ill go for a chuckle. He isnt very responsive but I have gotten a I'm fine and one how are you..........Ill give it time but I'm hopeing to make this ice cream man a little jolly. He would probably sell more if he wore a smile to work. Just my theory though.

6. I was depressed when this one suprised me because this summer my mexican friends taught me that this should just be expected but...
A guy walked me home on sunday and expected nothing in return. didnt ask to see my room. didnt ask for a kiss. didnt try to hold my hand. But simply wanted to make sure I got home safe and didnt have to walk home alone. I just wanted to give him a big hug.......he has true friend potential haha :D

7. The use of a hairdryer at a street stand selling meat. I still havent found out what it was used for but it was used.

No comments: